The Happy Food Coop believes food is more than just food; communities are built around it, health depends on it and it has the power to unite people and causes.
The aim is simple, to create a locally-driven and sustainable food system that contributes to the health and well-being of Suffolk and its residents.
There are many people and organisations around the country who endeavour to do the same. This is why we aim to become part of the Sustainable Food Cities network by working towards the following six goals.
- Promoting healthy and sustainable food to the public.
- Tackling food poverty, diet-related ill-health and access to affordable healthy food.
- Building community food knowledge, skills, resources and projects.
- Promoting a vibrant and diverse sustainable food economy.
- Transforming catering and food procurement.
- Reducing waste and the ecological footprint of the food system.
To begin, we will look at the following four steps:
– STEP 1: Highlight and promote current food initiatives
– STEP 2: Identify weaknesses and opportunities in the current food system
– STEP 3: Set achievable targets to improve the current food system
– STEP 4: Create a network of stakeholders to establish a new improved food system